Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Traffic accidents in Chicago lead to thousands of accidents and numerous fatalities every year. In 2012 alone, there were 274,111 traffic related collisions
in the state of Illinois and many more lives that were affected. Not all accidents are treated equal, though, as some prove to be more deadly than others.
Among traffic accidents, motorcycle collisions are more likely to produce injuries and even turn fatal than several other types of collisions, even though the account for a relatively small portion of all crashes. In 2012, the Illinois Department of Transportation ("IDOT") reported that only 1.5 percent of all collisions involved motorcycles.
Even those who do not ride motorcycles can be involved in a motorcycle accident
while they are driving or riding in a car, truck, bus, or van. Other statistics involving motorcycle accidents as recorded by IDOT for 2012 include the following:
- Though only 1.5 percent of all accidents involved motorcycles, motorcycle collisions were responsible for 5.0 percent of all traffic-related injuries and 16.7 of all traffic fatalities in Illinois, highlighting the disproportionate effects these accidents have;
- There were 4,231 motorcycle accidents across the state;
- 3,312 motorcyclists were injured in 3,036 traffic-related collisions;
- 148 people on motorcycles were killed in accidents;
- In addition to those bikers killed, two people who were not on motorcycles were killed in motorcycle collisions;
- The most common type of road for a biker to be injured or killed was upon a city road or street. In these accidents, 1,378 bikers were injured and 50 were killed;
- An additional 666 riders were injured on county and local roads and 46 bikers were killed;
- Bikers aged 45 years and older were the most likely to be injured or killed in a crash;
- No children aged 9 or younger were hurt in a motorcycle accident;
- Of the motorcycle operators who were killed in collisions, 127 were tested for the presence of alcohol and 46.5 percent of them had at least a trace amount of alcohol present;
- There were 356,446 registered motorcycles in the State of Illinois;
- At 1,603 accidents, approximately half of all collisions involved a single motorcycle. The remaining 1,495 collisions involved two or more vehicles including at least one motorcycle;
- Unlike many motor vehicle collisions, the majority of motorcycle-related crashes, 2,258, occurred when a bike was traveling straight ahead;
Liability for a Chicago Motorcycle Accident
When a motorcycle collision occurs, it is often due to a mistake, negligence, or reckless conduct on the part of one or more motorist involved. In some cases, a biker may be to blame but in many cases, it may be another behind the wheel of a larger vehicle. Regardless of who is to blame, the victims of a motorcycle accident may be entitled to relief under Illinois law. As the facts and circumstances surrounding each collision vary, it is important to understand the legal options that may result from a crash in which you were involved.
A responsible driver or the owner of an at-fault vehicle may be held legally and civilly liable for any injuries that result from a motorcycle accident. Whether they are medical bills, surgical expenses, lost wages, or even payment for pain and suffering, the individual or individuals responsible for the crash can be held liable for fair and adequate payment. In the event that a corporation employed an at-fault driver, that company can also be held liable.
Options for Relief after Chicago Motorcycle Accidents
The legal team at Abels & Annes, P.C. is comprised of professionals who dedicate their practice to the representation of those who have been harmed by the actions of others. We have successfully represented numerous victims of motorcycle collisions and we are standing by now to help you understand your legal rights if you have been involved in a crash.
Call Abels & Annes, P.C. toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO (529-2442) or locally at (312) 924-7575 and let us provide you with a free, no obligation telephone consultation regarding your accident and your legal options. If you prefer to meet with us in person but you are too injured to travel to our offices, we also offer free in-home and in-hospital consultations so that you can get the answers you need, whenever you need them.
If you have been injured in a Chicago motorcycle accident, call us toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO or Contact Us online for a free case consultation.
Great customer service. Organized and very persistent in pursuit of my claim.
I would give them an A+, a 10, they far exceeded my expectations. Professional, direct, very educated, very honest. I never felt like I wasn’t kept in the loop or that I was left on a need-to-know basis.
The one thing I have learned, especially in using Dave Abels, is that any time you use a professional, there are only two things you should expect: results and communication. Dave Abels excels at both.
I think of Dave and his firm as a great resource, very knowledgeable, and would certainly recommend them to anyone.
I didn’t have to do anything. It was all in their hands and I would get calls with good news every time. I am happy with the way they handled everything.
Great team. They helped us in an extremely difficult time! Thanks guys! We were extremely satisfied with the settlement we received.