For people injured in an accident where another party’s negligence was involved, relief is often only found in resolution of the case. Part of this resolution comes in the form of case settlements, which can ease the pain, stress, and uncertainty about the future.
The attorneys at Abels & Annes, P.C., handle many cases involving various types of personal injury claims, such as car accidents, work injuries, slip & fall, nursing home abuse, and wrongful death cases. Millions of dollars have been recovered for clients and their families. The following are a few of the most notable recent settlements made by our law firm
$175,000 and $83,105 Settlements With The CTA For Workers Injured In An AccidentTwo significant workers compensation cases were recently settled by the attorneys at Abels & Annes, P.C. against the Chicago Transit Authority.
- In the first case, our client was working on CTA tracks when she tripped and fell onto the third rail, sustaining burns to her upper extremities, right leg, and back. In addition to the $175,000 settlement, the claimant received over $95,000 in disability pay while off work. Further, her medical bills have been paid for.
- In a second case, a bus driver was injured in an accident while on the job. She sustained bilateral leg and back injuries. In addition to her $83,105 settlement, she received over $55,000 in disability pay while missing work. Her medical bills have also been paid for.
Injury Lawyers Settle Auto Claim
Abels & Annes, P.C. works on car accident cases on a regular basis. Recently, we resolved a claim out of court in which the plaintiff was injured when an inattentive driver caused a multiple car collision.
Our client was a passenger in a vehicle driven by a friend. As they approached an intersection, they signaled to turn left and came to a stop, waiting for traffic to clear. The vehicle behind the plaintiff came to a stop as well.
The defendant was driving two cars behind our client. He failed to slow and/or stop his vehicle and struck a vehicle in front of him, which in turn caused a collision with our client’s vehicle. The force of the collision was significant.
The Berwyn Police Department responded to the scene of the collision. After speaking with all parties, the responding officer determined the defendant was at fault for failing to reduce his speed to avoid a crash. The responding officer issued a citation for driving too fast for the conditions.
Following the collision, our client had an immediate onset of neck and back pain and sought treatment at Westlake Hospital’s Emergency Department. Her x-rays revealed straightening of the normal cerical lordosis of her spine. Due to excruciating pain and tenderness in her abdomen, doctors ordered an emergency CT scan of her pelvis, which was negative. She was prescribed pain medication and was diagnosed with neck and back sprain and strain. She was instructed to seek follow up medical care and was discharged.
Unfortunately, her pain did not subside. She sought follow up treatment from a doctor a week after the accident to address the following symptoms:
- Sharp pains in her neck and back
- Headaches and pain between her shoulder blades
- Significant pain, preventing sleep
- Inability to sit or stand for more than a few minutes without pain and discomfort
- Instances of entire back spasms, leading to serious pain
She was diagnosed with severe whiplash, muscle spasms, lumbar facet syndrome, and thoracic strain/sprain. Pain medication was prescribed and she was instructed to begin a course of therapy.
Pursuant to doctor’s instructions, she began a course of therapy to allow her to return to work with limited pain. She engaged in twenty (20) sessions and was discharged having reached maximum medical improvement.
The claim settled out of court for just over $18,500, saving our client the cost of litigation. Our office had also previously settled the claim of another passenger in the car for just over $7,200.
Injured In An Accident? Ask For A Free Work Injury Case Consultation
If you have suffered a work injury in Chicago, request a Free Work Injury Case Consultation or call (312) 924-7575 to speak with a work injury attorney now.