What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Whether at home, in an office, a parking lot, or a store, we don’t expect to suddenly slip and fall. But this can and does happen, and it happens frequently. In fact, falls account for over eight-million hospital visits
annually in the United States.
If it seems that slipping and falling cause more embarrassment than physical injury, it’s shocking how serious the injuries that result can be. Falling can cause serious injuries, and if you or a loved one has slipped and fallen, you may face a long recovery and high medical bills. To give you the best chance of making a complete recovery without having to pay those bills out of your own pocket, you need to speak with a seasoned Illinois slip and fall accident lawyer
Where Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
In short, slip and fall accidents happen anywhere
. The most common locations for a slip and fall accident to occur are:
- Faulty stairs and escalators
- Grocery stores and supermarkets
- Sidewalks, driveways, and parking lots
- Stores and malls
Many people are so embarrassed at falling, they want to get away as quickly as possible. Trying to walk away after an injury can cause further injury to you, however. More importantly, you cannot document the scene and understand what caused your fall.
Slipping and falling is a serious issue. Twenty percent of falls
result in injuries of broken bones or worse. Common injuries resulting from a slip and fall accident include:
- Cuts and bruises
- Sprained ankles or wrists
- Knee damage
- Dislocated shoulder
- Muscle strain
- Broken bones
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Slipping and falling is not something to take lightly. It shouldn’t be ignored. There is real potential for serious and life-changing injuries. Understanding what happened can help you better discuss your injuries with your doctor to create a treatment plan which helps you recover.
Depending on the severity of your injuries, you could face multiple medical procedures and rehabilitation. This results in high medical bills. But you shouldn’t be on the hook to pay these bills, because you didn’t cause the accident. This is when it’s important to speak with a trusted personal injury lawyer in Illinois who can help you get back on your feet.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall
The steps you take immediately after your slip and fall can impact the success of your personal injury claim. To give yourself the best chance of a successful claim, follow these steps.
- Call 911. Even if you don’t think your injuries are severe, calling 911 will allow you the opportunity to be seen by a medical professional. It will also make sure the police document your accident scene. Was there liquid on the floor? Were there deep cracks on the sidewalk? Was there a sign warning of potential danger? All of these questions will be answered by the police report.
- Seek medical assistance. Calling 911 will get you immediate medical help. But follow up after your accident with your regular doctor who knows you best. Your doctor can evaluate your symptoms and determine if you need specialized help or identify late-manifesting issues like a torn meniscus or traumatic brain injuries.
- Take pictures. Besides a police report, one of the best ways to document your accident is to take pictures. Get images of any liquid or crack you may have tripped over. Take pictures of any warning signs or lack thereof. Get images of your injuries.
- Keep a journal. After your slip and fall, it’s important to keep a journal of your recovery. Writing in it daily will ensure you don’t forget how you’re doing from day to day. It’s easy to get better and not remember all of the pain and suffering you endured. Keeping a journal describing your daily condition and how you’re improving will help to show what you went through during your recovery.
- Speak with a personal injury lawyer. The right legal team can make a difference in your personal injury claim. Hiring a personal injury lawyer with documented results, helping clients just like you get better, is a great way to give you the peace of mind you need to focus on your physical recovery while we focus on getting you the compensation you deserve.
Taking these steps will help you on the path to recovery. Your injuries are limiting your ability to live your life. Your sole focus should be on your recovery. We help you do that by aggressively seeking the compensation you need to pay your medical bills.
The most important thing to remember is that you didn’t cause your injuries, so you should play no part in paying the medical bills. You need to get better. You deserve to get better. And the way to do that is to seek compensation from the negligent party. As your slip and fall accident attorney, we can fight to get you compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
While it’s true that fewer than two percent of cases
go all the way to trial, you want a lawyer who is fully prepared to take your case to trial if that’s what is required to get you the compensation you deserve. Some insurance companies don’t want to settle your case for a fair amount. You need the compensation to pay your bills, but shouldn’t settle if it’s not right for you.
Experience matters in personal injury cases. When you have experienced and seasoned personal injury lawyers at your side, you show the insurance company you’re not messing around. Simply hiring a skilled and trusted firm can help push your case to a settlement that works for you.
Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You?
If you’re unsure what to do following a slip and fall accident, an attorney can help you understand what to do next. An attorney can investigate your accident, review medical records and police reports, look at the pictures you took, negotiate with insurance companies, and protect your rights at trial, if necessary. If you have more questions regarding a slip and fall, consider contacting an attorney you trust to help you understand your options.