Drunk Drivers Can Cause Serious Injuries on Chicago Roads
A drunk driving accident is a tragic event that Mothers Against Drunk Driving calls the “most frequently committed violent crime in America”. It seems that each new day brings another disturbing news story about the repercussions of getting behind the wheel after a few drinks. Drunk driving statistics help illustrate just how prevalent drunk driving accidents are in Chicago and across the US; but they also demonstrate how a drunk driver can cause injuries that could affect a DUI accident victim for the rest of their life.
10 Drunk Driving Accident Facts: Statistics that Result in Injuries
1. Drunk Driving Occurs Way Too Much
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, adults consume too much alcohol and get behind the wheel about 112 million times a year. This adds up to nearly 300,000 incidents of drinking and driving each day.
2. Young People are Dying Because of DUI
One in every 7 drivers killed in a drunk driving accident in 2008 was under the age of 21 (and thus not even old enough to drink).
3. The Financial Cost of Drunk Driving
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has determined that these accidents cost the United States $132 billion a year and costs each adult in this country almost $500 per year.
4. Young People Tend to Drink and Drive More Often
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in fatal crashes in 2010, the highest percentage of drunk drivers was for drivers ages 21 to 24 (34%), followed by ages 25 to 34 (30%) and 35 to 44 (25%).
5. Children are Dying in DUI Accidents
More than 200 children are killed in drunk driving crashes each year. Out of those deaths, 62% were riding with the drunk driver while the other 38% were in a car that was struck by a drunk driver.
6. Lots of People Drive Drunk on Weekend Nights
An estimated 1 in 7 nighttime weekend drivers are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, according the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
7. Binge Drinkers tend to be Drunk Drivers
One in every ten binge drinkers admitted to driving the last time they consumed 5 or more drinks, according to a 2009 study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
8. Drunk Drivers are Not Always Caught
Additionally, according to studies by the CDC, an average drunk driver has driven drunk 80 times before first arrest.
9. Lots of Car Accident Deaths are Due to Drunk Driving
Drunk drivers caused 11,773 of the nation’s 37,261 traffic fatalities in 2008, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. In other words, 32% of deaths caused by a car accident were due to drunk driving.
10. Nighttime is an Especially Dangerous Time to Drive
Over 70 percent of drunken driving fatalities occurred at night and 55 percent occurred during the weekend.
Drunk Driving Statistics Clarify the Danger and Risk
These drunk driving statistics make clear that drinking and driving can cause serious injuries and deaths. Fatal car accidents in the U.S. are caused by intoxicated drivers at an alarmingly high rate, and they affect everyone in one way or another.
Drunk driving can impair a driver’s ability to judge speed, timing, and distance. It can lead to dangerous driving behaviors such as failure to use turn signals, drifting, and failure to notice other vehicles or pedestrians on the roadway. Thus, not only are the roads more dangerous with drunk drivers, the financial toll of an alcohol-related accident extends to the average taxpayer.
Suing a Drunk Driver for Negligence
Fortunately, the individuals responsible for alcohol-related accidents often face serious criminal charges in addition to being held civilly responsible to innocent accident victims. For this reason, it is important that the victims of any drunken driving accident seek free legal advice from an experienced attorney.
The victims of automobile accidents caused by an intoxicated driver can see their lives torn apart in an instant by another person’s negligent actions. For this reason, the injury lawyers and wrongful death attorneys at Abels & Annes, P.C. take special care in fighting for clients who have been seriously injured or killed by the negligent acts of a drunk driver. We will work with you to seek just compensation from drunk drivers and their insurance companies.