Have You Been Injured in a Car Accident?
There are over 11.5 million registered motor vehicles and about 9.2 million licensed drivers in Illinois. Our Chicago car accident lawyers are very aware that with this many drivers on the road, collisions are going to happen.
In fact, Illinois has over 300,000 car accidents each year. The reality is that nearly everyone will be in car a accident at some point in their lives.
If you or a loved one have been injured in a Chicago car accident due to a negligent driver, contact the experienced car accident attorneys at Abels & Annes, P.C. You can reach us online or by calling (312) 924-7575.
The High Cost of Auto Accidents
When it’s serious, a car accident injury will not just result in expensive emergency care or a lengthy hospital stay. It can have tremendous financial and physical impacts.
A serious injury may keep you off work for an extended period of time. Or, it might even make it impossible for you to return to your job.
You may require long term care, such as costly homecare from a professional caregiver or therapist. Further, you may require expensive medical equipment. Finally, you may even suffer a permanent disability, particularly if the accident causes traumatic brain injury or a debilitating spine injury.
In addition, with all the sophisticated equipment on modern cars, a greater percentage of vehicles are being totaled in accidents. Nearly 20% by some estimates. Here, the cost of repairs are more than the vehicles are worth.
As a result, many accident victims can expect to be temporarily without the use of their car. Further, they will have the additional stress of purchasing another one.
Consequently, even car accidents with injuries that you can fully recover from can be financially devastating. And not just to you, but to family members and others that may rely upon your financial support.
New Technology is Helping to Reduce Auto Accidents And Injuries
Automobile manufacturers are continually innovating and installing new and improved safety devices every year. There are better designs for roads, intersections, and traffic lanes. Governmental bodies across Illinois are creating new and improved laws addressing drunk driving, distracted driving, and aggressive driving while more vigorously enforcing these laws.
New technologies are helping drivers to avoid some auto accidents and injuries. These include:
- Blind spot detection
- Backup cameras
- Lane departure warnings
- Self-driving abilities
- Advances in road designs
But it seems that for every innovation and improvement, there is often some countervailing factor that reduces the overall benefit of these developments.
Car Accident Injury Statistics in Chicago, IL
Car Accident FAQs
Here are answers to many common questions about Chicago car accidents.
How Often do Car Accidents Happen in Illinois?
To get a clear picture of how car accidents are affecting the people of Chicago, let’s take a look at some crash statistics.
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, in 2018 there were:
- 319,146 crashes in Illinois
- 951 fatalities in those accidents
- 67,453 personal injuries from accidents
In other words, driving can be a very dangerous activity. In fact, in Illinois, vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for young people between the ages of 15 and 24.
Unfortunately, all this data leads us to three terrifying fact about car accidents in Illinois:
- A person dies in a vehicle accident every nine hours
- Just under 185 people sustain injuries in motor vehicle accidents everyday
- Approximately 5 people sustain serious injuries or worse every hour
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents are becoming more frequent and will continue to be a serious problem for everyone. Common causes of auto accidents can include:
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Heavy traffic
- Distracted driving
- Increased use of cellphones
- Texting while driving
- Online browsing
- Drunk Drivers
- Drugged drivers
- Red lights
The fact remains that vehicle accidents are going to continue to occur. They will happen no matter the effort to protect drivers and passengers from accidents and injuries.
Thankfully, most vehicle accidents are relatively harmless, like a fender bender in a parking lot accident. Further, some only cause minor injuries. But at the other extreme are serious accidents that cause catastrophic injuries. And even worse, sometimes bad crashes result in death.
When you are injured, or a family member is killed, it is important to get a Chicago car crash lawyer on your side. This, to make sure you can recover fully from your loss.
What should I do after a car accident?
- Call the authorities and make a police report. Do not let the other driver talk you into skipping this important step. It can lead to issues later on.
- Exchange information with the other driver. Take good photos of the other side’s ID and insurance information. Some police departments will not make this information publicly available on the police report. For example, the Illinois State Police heavily redact their police reports.
- Take down witness information. Independent witness testimony could be critical to your case.
- Take photos of the scene of the accident and of the damage to your vehicle and to the other vehicles as well.
- Seek medical attention. If you’re injured, go to the emergency room or seek medical care as soon as possible. Your injuries could be more serious than you realize. Further, a long gap between an accident and medical treatment can make it difficult for your lawyer to prove that your injuries are related to the accident.
- Contact an auto accident attorney in Chicago ASAP. The sooner you have an attorney, the sooner he or she can start protecting your legal rights. Also, call a lawyer before you talk to any auto insurance carrier. They will often try to take a statement from you, which can be used against you later on.
What Damages Could I Have After a Car Accident?
- Medical Expenses, like hospital visits, doctor appointments, physical therapy, ambulance fees, etc.
- Pain and Suffering, which is the physical and mental anguish for which a person can seek compensation for in a lawsuit.
- Lost Wages from missing work after a serious injury. This can be one of the most financially damaging aspects of a car accident.
You may be able to recover the damages caused by a car accident. However, in order to ensure you get what you deserve from your injury claim, don’t delay getting help from a legal professional. Get started today by contacting the Chicago car crash lawyers at Abels & Annes.
What Are the Most Common Car Accident Injuries?
There are a variety of injuries that can result from auto accidents, such as:
- Broken bone injury accidents. When a fracture is more serious, it could require surgery to repair.
- Back and neck injuries. Most of the time these are soft tissue injuries that resolve with therapy. However, sometimes accident victims sustain herniated discs which may need injections or surgery to resolve.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs). This is when the impact to the head disrupts brain activity. TBIs can be mild (like a concussion) or severe, which can require years of medical care.
- Lacerations. Sometimes accident victims sustain large cuts that require stitches or staples, and often leave disfiguring scars.
- Shoulder injuries, such as a torn rotator cuff or a torn labrum. These injuries often require surgery.
- Burn injuries. This can be a result of fire, but it can also come from airbags. Our office has seen significant scarring from airbag injuries.
- Death. Tragically, hundreds of people die every year in Chicago area auto accidents.
How Much Should I Expect from a Car Accident Settlement?
There is no set rule on how money you will receive. However, three factors can typically help determine the value of your car accident case:
- Liability. Which party is at fault for the accident? If the cause of the collision was clearly the negligence of the defendant, this works in your favor.
- Insurance. Good insurance carriers with big policies can be great for your case. But unfortunately, if you have a six-figure injury and the other driver only has $50,000 in insurance coverage, that can limit your recovery. There are big and small insurance policies. There are good and bad insurance carriers. It is often “luck of the draw”. However, our accident lawyers were recently able to reach a $3 million settlement, so there are still good insurance policies out there.
- Damages. Different injuries have different values, and a good personal injury lawyer will know what to look for. For example, a broken arm with surgery is worth a lot more than a sore wrist. Further, a neck or back injury that leads to surgery is worth a lot more than a soft-tissue injury that resolves with physical therapy.
Contact our law firm if you’d like more information about the possible value of your case.
Are Many Drivers Uninsured or Underinsured in Chicago?
Although many people believe they can rely upon insurers to provide them with adequate compensation, unfortunately, this is not always true. Under Illinois law, a motorist only needs to carry:
- $25,000 of liability insurance for the death or injury of an individual
- $50,000 of liability insurance for death or injury total per accident
- $20,000 of property damage insurance
Many people show more responsibility and purchase insurance coverage above these limits. However, your accident may involve one of the less responsible motorists. If so, the other driver’s insurance company may cover only a very small proportion of your damage claims.
Even worse, despite the mandatory insurance law, some Illinois drivers operate without any car insurance at all. A study undertaken by the Insurance Research Council estimates that 1-in-8 drivers across the nation are uninsured. Similarly, estimates for Illinois have the ratio of drivers without insurance at 15%.
What if I Have an Accident with an Uninsured or Underinsured Driver?
Let’s say you are in a car accident. Further, the at-fault driver has minimum or no auto insurance. In this case, there could be too little or no insurance coverage from the at-fault driver to cover the claim.
If you have been wise enough to purchase auto insurance of your own, it should include Uninsured Motorist and Underinsured Motorist Coverage. Here, your lawyer can pursue a uninsured motorist claim or an underinsured motorist claim against your own auto policy. These are often referred to as UM and UIM claims.
With this type of claim, your own auto insurance company will step into the shoes of the uninsured or underinsured driver and pay on the claim. And, as many people can attest, recovering from your own insurer can sometimes be as difficult as recovering from another party’s insurer.
On the other hand, UM and UIM claims often settle quickly. Further, you can sometimes collect more money while spending less on costs.
This is where the Chicago car accident attorneys at Abels & Annes can help. If you suffer an injury in a car accident as the result of a negligent driver, our attorneys are ready to handle all of your concerns. This includes evaluating and investigating issues such as:
- Who is at fault
- The amount of insurance coverage available to pay on the claim
- Calculating your out-of-pocket expenses, like medical care and lost income
- Determining your non-economic costs and long-term needs
Our car accident lawyers handle UM and UIM claims on a regular basis. They are very common.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire an Accident Lawyer?
Injury attorneys typically work on a contingency fee basis. That means there is no fee unless you win your case. You pay no money up front. The lawyer charges a percentage of the amount of money he or she collects from the auto insurance carrier.
Many injury lawyers advance the costs to prosecute a case. Some examples of costs include paying for medical records, court filing fees, court reporters, and expert witnesses. The costs are reimbursed at the time of settlement.
How Much Time do I Have to Sue?
In Illinois, the statute of limitations is 2 years in most personal injury cases. However, there are shorter 1 year statutes for certain defendants. Municipalities, for example.
Further, minors with injuries from accidents typically have 2 years from their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit against most defendants. But again, there are shorter exceptions.
You must file your lawsuit within the statute of limitations. Otherwise, the plaintiff will be time barred from pursuing the case and recovering any damages.
Finally, do not wait until the last minute to try to find an attorney. Most lawyers will not take a case that is too close to the statute of limitations.
Abels & Annes, P.C. Has Experience Assisting Car Accident Victims
Bear in mind that obtaining help from a qualified and experienced car accident lawyer may be critical. This is especially true when an injury is serious.
If you delay too long in pursuing your claims, or if you fail to fully understand your damages, important rights may be lost. Further, important evidence may be forgotten, damaged, or destroyed.
We know that when you have serious injuries, it is difficult to carefully and immediately assess the cause of the accident, and to gather information. It is even more difficult to handle the insurance carriers. Your accident attorney can shoulder that burden for you.
Our Accident Attorneys Are Here to Help
If you are injured in an auto accident, or someone you love has been injured or killed, let the car accident attorneys at Abels & Annes help you to assess and understand your rights and potential remedies. Further, we can help you to obtain the compensation that you deserve in order to fully recover.
Call (312) 924-7575, or use our confidential online case evaluation form. Your consultation is free, and we will not charge you any fees unless a financial recovery is made for you.
The personal injury lawyers at Abels & Annes have experience representing Chicago drivers and passengers injured in car accidents. We will independently investigate your accident and do what is necessary to help you recover. This allows you to concentrate on the important and difficult task of healing and getting your life back in order.
Car Accident Settlements
Here is a small sample of our case settlements from car accident claims:
- $3,000,000 for a motorist killed by a driver making an illegal u-turn.
- $460,000 – Chicago Car Accident. A Chicago area driver failed to yield coming out of a stop sign, hitting our client’s vehicle. The plaintiff had to undergo surgery to repair a lumbar disc injury.
- $600,000 – Wrongful Death Auto Accident. Insurance policy limits settlement of $500,000, plus $100,000 from our client’s own auto policy due to a second defendant that had no auto insurance.
- $200,000 – Chicago Car Crash. Accident settlement for injuries due to a DUI motorist.
- $220,000 – Chicago Auto Accident. Policy limits UM claim settlement for two minor children in a north suburban car accident.
- $250,000 – Illinois Car Accident. Policy limits settlement for a Chicago Area resident. The plaintiff had surgery for a disc injury.
See more of our car accident and injury settlements.
Free Consultation with a Chicago Car Accident Lawyer
“This firm was great to work with. Very fast and understanding. Every time I called I was able to receive an update about my case and always had a polite conversation. I was able to get through my case with less stress then I anticipated. I will be sure to come back if I am ever in need of their services again.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!