Few types of accidents have a greater reach than car accidents across the state of Illinois. With 274,111 traffic-related crashes occurring in Illinois in 2012 alone, the prevalence of auto collisions cannot be understated. If you have not been involved in a crash, chances are that your loved one, family member, friend, neighbor, or coworker has had their life affected by a collision as one point or another.
Many collisions are minor and fortunately involved only property damage but a number of these accidents caused injuries every year. The victims of these collisions may be forced to bear the financial damage that accompanies a collision even though the accident was not their fault. As any driver or passenger can become the victim of a car crash, it is a good idea to understand collisions in Chicago, across the rest of Illinois, and the nation.
Car Accidents in Illinois
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (“IDOT”), the following statistics are true for the year 2012 in Illinois:
- Of the 274,111 traffic accidents, 131,402 occurred within Cook County, accounting for 47.9 percent of all the state’s collisions;
- 60,252 accidents resulted in 83,768 injuries to the individuals involved in the crash, comprising 22 percent of all accidents;
- 886 accidents proved to be fatal to 956 people, meaning fewer than one percent of all accidents turned fatal;
- There were 10,186,671 registered vehicles in the state and 8,840,976 licensed drivers;
- Official estimates of miles traveled total 104,456,093,156;
- Fridays had more collisions than any other day of the week with 37,649 urban accidents and 9,300 rural collisions;
- The most common time of day for a collision to occur was between 4:00 pm and 7:59 pm;
- The most common type of crash was a rear-end collision with 79,680 occurring;
- Rear-end accidents also caused the most injuries at 17,462;
- The greatest number of fatal accidents, 278, occurred by a vehicle striking a fixed object;
Different actions can lead to a collision but any type of crash can caused injuries. While some accidents, like a rollover collision, are more likely to leave the drivers and passengers involved injured, even a low speed crash can wreak havoc on the lives of those involved.
- There were 3,500 accidents involving an overturned vehicle resulting in 2,081 injuries;
- 16,259 collisions involving animals took place, leading to 597 injuries;
- Of all the accidents that occurred, 32,249 involved at least one parked vehicle, whether it was a car, truck, van, or bus. Those accidents caused 1,468 injuries;
- Head-on crashes occurred 2,045 separate times and left 897 people injured. Another 96 people lost their lives in head-on accidents;
- Turning accidents accounted for 37,502 of the collisions and caused 9,153 injuries and 79 deaths;
Car accidents affect everyone involved but they also have a significant impact across the state. The financial costs from the property damage done to vehicles, the expenses totaled from medical treatment at hospitals, surgical centers, and rehabilitation facilities, and the decrease in the productivity of the workforce caused by collisions impact everyone state-wide, highlighting while it is in the best interest of all to decrease the number of collisions and make sure that the victims of these crashes obtain the relief and the justice they deserve.
Legal Relief for Victims of Chicago Car Accidents
Becoming the victim of a car accident can be devastating to the individual and that individual’s entire family. The medical expenses may begin to pile up and you may be forced to take time off work while you recover. Through it all, it may seem like there is no one on your side, fighting for your rights.
At Abels & Annes, P.C., we are here to help you obtain the relief you deserve. Our dedicated lawyers only represent injury victims and we never represent insurance companies so you know that we have your best interests in mind at all time. We keep a licensed lawyer standing by 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to take your call whenever you need answers. We offer a free case consultation to all injury victim and everything discussed will be kept confidential. If you are too injured to travel to our offices but you wish to meet with us in person, we also offer free in-home and in-hospital consultations so that you can get the answers you need.
You can reach us toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO (529-2442) or locally at (312) 924-7575. There is no obligation on your part for taking advantage of the consultation and at Abels & Annes, P.C., we never charge a fee unless we make a recovery on behalf of our clients.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Chicago, call us toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO or Contact Us online for a free case consultation.