How Often do Auto Accidents Occur in Chicago?
Few types of accidents have a greater reach than car accidents across the state of Illinois. In 2018, there were 319,146 traffic-related crashes in Illinois.
Our Chicago auto accident attorneys will tell you the prevalence of collisions cannot be understated. If you have not been in a crash, chances are that a family member, friend, neighbor, or coworker has had their life affected by a collision as one point or another.
Some accidents are minor and fortunately involve only property damage. That being said, a big number of these crashes cause injuries every year. The victims of these collisions may have financial damage that accompanies a collision even though the accident was not their fault.
As any driver or passenger can become the victim of a car crash, it is a good idea to understand collisions. This, whether the accident is in Chicago, across the rest of Illinois, or the nation.
What are the Accidents Statistics in Illinois?
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation (“IDOT”), the following statistics are true for the year 2018 in Illinois:
- Of 319,146 traffic accidents, 162,527 were in Cook County, accounting for 47.9 percent of all the state’s collisions.
- 67,453 accidents were the cause of 94,164 injuries to the individuals in crashes.
- 951 accidents were fatal to 1,035 people, meaning fewer than one percent of all accidents had fatalities.
- The greatest number of fatal accidents, 273, were due to a vehicle striking a fixed object.
- Fridays had more collisions than any other day of the week with 31,923 urban accidents and 19,609 rural collisions.
- The most common time of day for a collision to occur was between 4:00 pm and 7:59 pm.
What are the Statistics for Different Types of Illinois Auto Accidents?
Different actions can lead to a collision, but any type of crash can cause injuries. Some accidents, like a rollover collision, are more likely to cause injuries to drivers and passengers. However, a low speed crash can result in injuries as well. Here are statistics for different types of accidents in 2018:
- The most common type of crash was a rear-end collision with 91,936 occurring.
- Rear-end accidents were the cause of the most injuries at 19,831.
- There were 3,401 accidents involving an overturned vehicle resulting in 1,829 injuries.
- 16,511 collisions involving animals took place, leading to 688 injuries.
- 36,266 accidents involved at least one parked vehicle, whether it was a car, truck, van, or bus. Those accidents were the cause of 1,908 injuries;
- There were 2,843 head-on crashes causing injuries to 1,191 people. Further, there were 96 fatalities in head-on accidents.
- Turning accidents accounted for 49,985 collisions, 12,912 injuries and 79 deaths.
What are the High Costs of Auto Illinois Accidents?
Car accidents affect everyone involved but they can also have a significant impact across the state. There are major financial costs from:
- Property damage to vehicles
- Expenses for medical treatment at hospitals, surgical centers, and rehabilitation facilities
- The decrease in the productivity of the workforce due to collisions
This all highlights why it is in the best interest of all to decrease the number of collisions. It is further important to make sure the victims of these crashes obtain the relief and the justice they deserve.
How to Have Legal Relief for Chicago Car Accident Victims?
Becoming the victim of a car accident can be devastating to the individual and that individual’s family. Medical expenses can pile up and you may have to take time off work to recover. Through it all, it may seem like there is no one on your side, fighting for your rights.
At Abels & Annes, P.C., we are here to help you obtain the relief you deserve. Our dedicated lawyers only represent injury victims and we never represent insurance companies.
We keep a lawyer standing by 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to take your call whenever you need answers. We offer free consultations to all injury victims. If you are too injured to travel, we also offer free in-home and in-hospital consultations.
You can contact us toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO (529-2442) or locally at (312) 924-7575. It’s a no obligation consultation. Further, at Abels & Annes, P.C., we never charge a fee unless a recovery is made on behalf of our clients.