Table of Contents
Sexual abuse is a very sensitive area of the law in Illinois, especially when children or the elderly are involved. We handle cases that include sexual abuse by a clergy member, school teacher, school staff member, coaches, or police officers. Sex abuse also can involve elderly victims abused by nursing home staff members.
You may need the help of an experienced Chicago sexual abuse lawyer to help you through this sensitive and complex legal issue. The attorneys at Abels & Annes, P.C. often handle these types of cases and may be able to help you obtain compensation and other assistance.
What is sexual abuse?
Sexual abuse is an undesired sexual act or behavior perpetrated by one person upon another. It is often done using force or coercion or by taking advantage one’s power over another, like a teacher or priest.
Personal injury attorneys handle sex abuse cases because they fall under the category of tort. Oftentimes, sexual abuse victims have lasting physical and mental injuries. This can lead to medical and therapy bills, missed work, pain and suffering, etc.
Sexual assault is when a person suffers sexual abuse in a single event, in a forceful manner. Whereas sexual abuse typically happens repeatedly over a longer period of time.
Where Does Sex Abuse Happen?
Sexual abuse or sexual assault can happen anywhere, at anytime, to anybody. Some common places and situations that lead to sexual abuse include:
- Doctors office or medical facilities
- Nursing home
- Mental health facilities
- Foster home
- After school program
- Tutoring facility
What Are The Damages From Sexual Abuse?
The growing and well-publicized issue in this area of the law is church sex abuse cases in Illinois and nationwide. These cases can, unfortunately, cause life-changing psychological and emotional damages. Damages can include:
- Dramatic behavioral changes
- Poor performance in school
These effects can be permanent and ongoing issues for the rest of a person’s life.
When our Chicago law firm works on a sex abuse case, we often employ psychologists to interview and evaluate the victim. This helps us the better understand the situation under which the sexual abuse took place. Also, it gives us a better idea of potential damages.
At Abels & Annes, we handle sexual abuse cases with the utmost respect and confidentiality. You can trust that everything from our first consultation to our last meeting will be handled compassionately.
In addition to the actual abuser, other parties may be held responsible. This can include churches, schools, daycare centers, hospitals, medical offices, and nursing homes.
These facilities are often negligent in their duties. For example, they often create unsafe conditions, have insufficient background checks, or use hiring practices that led to the abuse.
Our sex abuse attorneys represent Chicago residents in claims against health care facilities, churches, schools, daycares, and anywhere sexual abuse happened.
Sexual Abuse Statistics
According to statistics found on RAINN’s website, victims of sexual abuse are:
- 3 times more likely to suffer from depression
- 4 times more likely to contemplate suicide
- 13 times more likely to abuse alcohol
- 26 times more likely to abuse drugs.
- 15% of sex abuse victims are under the age of 12
- 44% of victims are under the age of 18,
- 93% of child sex abuse victims know their attacker
According to a recent congressional report, 30% of nursing homes around the U.S. were cited for some type of abuse. This can be mental, physical or sexual.
Further, there were 9,000 reports abuse nationwide in 5,283 nursing homes and senior care facilities . Of course, these figures represent just what the committee caught. Aside from the physical abuse, like bedsores, malnutrition and dehydration, there was numerous instances of sexual abuse.
All sexual abuse is vile. However, sexual abuse against helpless elderly with no way to fight back is even more appalling.
Fianlly, many nursing homes are understaffed, their employees are overworked, and their staff is improperly screened for past violations or criminal records.
If your family member suffers sexual abuse in a nursing home or other abuse in any way in a nursing home, call our law firm. The aggressive attorneys at Abels & Annes take these cases very seriously. We will do everything in our power to ensure that a family and victim receive justice and compensation.
Our law firm is currently working on several high-profile sexual abuse cases in the Chicago area. Also, we have a significant list of sex abuse settlements from years of work. Here are just some of our results:
- $3,200,000 – In 2011 Abels & Annes, P.C. working with co-counsel, settled a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Chicago, Cardinal George, and the Catholic Bishop of Chicago involving sexual abuse of a minor boy by former Rev. Daniel McCormack in the amount of $3.2 million dollars, $300,000 of which was placed in escrow for services. The identity of the plaintiff and his family remain confidential. We are now working on several other McCormack cases.
- $3,150,000 – Confidential sex abuse settlement in Chicago
- $2,800,000 – Confidential sexual abuse settlement
- $2,600,000 – Abels & Annes, P.C. helped reach this settlement while working with co-counsel in 2016. To protect our client’s identity, the plaintiff’s name was kept confidential during the proceedings of the claim and through settlement.
- $2,525,000 – Confidential settlement
- $2,500,000 – Confidential church settlement
- $2,500,000 – Confidential priest case settlement
- $1,950,000 – Confidential settlement against the Chicago Archdiocese
- $1,800,000 – Confidential settlement
- $900,000 – Settlement against a school bus company for the inappropriate actions of a driver.
If you have a sex abuse case to discuss, request a free consultation or call (312) 924-7575. Our Chicago sexual abuse lawyers are here for you 24/7.
For resources or help, visit the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) website. They are the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization and they have great resources for sexual abuse victims.