If a Lyft driver causes an accident and you suffer injuries, you deserve full compensation for your medical bills and other losses. The Lyft corporation has more substantial insurance coverage than individual drivers, which can help ensure you receive all you need. However, can you sue Lyft after every injury accident involving a Lyft vehicle?
You might have the right to sue Lyft after an accident and injuries, but only under certain circumstances. Even when you cannot, you might pursue insurance claims or lawsuits against Lyft’s insurance policy or the other parties contributing to your accident.
Each Lyft accident presents unique circumstances to consider for an injury case, and you want to seek legal guidance as soon as possible. Upon reviewing your case, your car accident lawyer in Chicago can explain your options for seeking compensation - and who you might seek compensation from.
Who May Seek Compensation After a Lyft Accident
You should seek fair compensation for injuries or property damage in an auto accident with help from a car accident lawyer if you:
- Suffer injuries in the accident
- Lose a loved one from injuries they suffered in an accident
A Lyft accident can refer to several different circumstances.
You may pursue compensation if:
- You were riding in a Lyft vehicle, and another motorist struck that vehicle.
- Your Lyft driver caused an accident while you were in the vehicle.
- A Lyft driver struck your vehicle.
- A Lyft driver hit you while walking, riding a bicycle, or engaging in any other activity as a pedestrian.
- Your loved one lost their life in any of these circumstances.
Attorneys offer free consultations. You can speak with the firm and have a lawyer review your case at no cost. If a Lyft accident injured you or a loved one, speak with an attorney immediately.
Your Options for Seeking Compensation After an Accident With a Lyft Driver
You may have several options for seeking compensation after a Lyft accident, though a lawyer can help you determine the most appropriate path.
Potential paths to a financial recovery include:
Filing an Insurance Claim With the At-Fault Motorist’s Insurer
Lyft drivers must maintain active auto insurance to drive legally. When a Lyft driver (or another at-fault motorist) causes an accident, their insurance company generally provides the first line of coverage.
Your car accident lawyer will file a claim with the at-fault motorist’s insurer if it is the proper approach to seeking compensation for your losses.
Filing an Insurance Claim Through Lyft’s Provider
Lyft provides insurance coverage for its drivers, though it notes that the driver’s insurance generally applies first.
If you need to pursue compensation through Lyft’s insurance, you may recover compensation for:
- $50,000 for bodily injury
- $25,000 for property damage
This coverage applies if the Lyft driver opened their app and awaited ride requests. If someone else suffered injuries, too (such as a friend in your vehicle with you), you may recover $100,000 for bodily injuries.
If the Lyft driver went to pick up a passenger or was dropping someone off at the time of the accident, Lyft’s insurance provides more generous coverage. In these cases, you may access up to $1 million in liability coverage.
Lyft’s insurance coverage is conditional. If the driver did not have their app engaged during the collision, Lyft’s insurer may refuse to cover you. An experienced lawyer will communicate with Lyft representatives and their insurance provider to determine whether insurance will cover your accident-related losses.
Filing an Insurance Claim Through Your Own Provider
Filing an insurance claim with your insurer is generally only necessary if your accident occurs in a no-fault state (which California is not) or the person who causes your accident lacks adequate insurance.
For example, suppose the Lyft driver did not have their app engaged at the time of your accident, and their personal insurance does not cover your losses. In that case, you may file an underinsured motorist claim through your auto insurer.
Filing a Lawsuit Against Liable Parties
Sometimes, a Lyft accident victim must file a lawsuit against liable parties to pursue fair compensation.
Liable parties in a Lyft accident case may include:
- Lyft: If Lyft engaged in any negligence that contributed to the accident, it may be liable through a lawsuit. For example, Lyft may have put you at risk by contracting an unqualified motorist or allowing a contractor to drive an unsafe vehicle.
- The at-fault motorist: Motorists have the greatest power to cause or prevent accidents; any motorist who caused your accident may be personally responsible for your damages. You may choose to sue the at-fault motorist if doing so can provide the money you deserve for accident-related damages.
- The municipality where your accident happened: Governments are generally responsible for road conditions and may be liable when dangerous conditions cause rideshare accidents. Such dangerous conditions may include uneven driving surfaces, potholes, faded or absent road markings, work crews positioned dangerously, fallen or absent signage, and defective traffic signals.
- A vehicle or component manufacturer: If a vehicle defect contributed to your accident, the manufacturer of the defective component or vehicle may be the target of a lawsuit.
- Anyone else whose negligence contributed to the accident: Lyft accidents happen in various ways. If another party contributed to your collision, they may be financially responsible for your damages.
Your car accident attorney will worry about establishing liability. They will complete a detailed investigation of the accident and, as they do, determine who should pay for the cost of your collision.
How Will a Lawyer Identify a Strategy for Seeking Compensation?
Attorneys consider the big picture when developing a case strategy.
Several factors will affect how your lawyer pursues compensation, including:
- Which insurance companies are obligated to cover your losses (if any)
- How much insurance compensation you are entitled to
- The nature and severity of your Lyft accident-related damages
- The financial cost of your accident-related damages
- The financial circumstances of parties who are liable for your damages
The ultimate goal is to obtain compensation covering all your accident-related damages (or losses, in insurance lingo). Your attorney will calculate your damages, review your options for seeking compensation, and advise you of the proper course of action.
What to Do After a Lyft Accident That Causes Injury
Your physical and psychological health is most important after a motor vehicle accident.
Therefore, you should seriously consider:
- Receiving an extensive physical exam: Even if you have already received medical treatment (such as wound care from an EMT), you should consider seeking additional treatment. Specifically, ensure you receive diagnoses for all accident-related ailments and get imaging of any injuries.
- Seeking psychological treatment: If you have experienced acute pain, traumatic memories, depression, symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), or any other psychological symptoms after your accident, consider seeking treatment. A counselor, psychiatrist, or other mental health professional may provide various treatments for your symptoms, possibly including medication and therapy.
A significant percentage of auto accident victims experience psychological symptoms in addition to any physical injuries they suffer. You must take care of your health, first and foremost, but also consider any financial recovery you are entitled to.
Doctors and counselors will take care of your health. By hiring an injury lawyer, you can ensure that you’re also tending to the financial aspects of your accident.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer Following a Lyft Accident
Lyft accident victims who hire a car accident lawyer receive several benefits, beginning when they retain their attorney.
Hiring an attorney:
- Allows you to put your recovery first: No accident victim should have to split their time between recovery and an insurance claim or lawsuit. When you hire a lawyer, you task them with handling every responsibility of your case. Meanwhile, you can rest, receive treatment, and put your recovery first.
- Protects you and your case: From the moment you hire them, your lawyer will protect you from anyone who wants to see your case fail. This may include liable individuals, insurance companies, and civil defense lawyers.
- Frees you of a major responsibility during a chaotic time: Injuries can cause much stress, and you might have limited time and energy after a Lyft accident. Handling the responsibility of an insurance claim or lawsuit may not be practical after an accident.
- Provides financial support: Car accident lawyers ensure that their clients face no case-related financial stress. The law firm pays the cost of completing the case, whether an insurance claim or a lawsuit. Without a lawyer, you may bear the cost of your case on your own.
- Puts your case in the hands of an experienced professional: Car accident attorneys resolve auto accident cases, perhaps on a near-daily basis. Having such experience on your side can lead to the favorable case outcome you hope for.
When a Lyft accident victim hires an attorney, they reap each of these benefits.
Recoverable Damages for Victims of Lyft Accidents
With each new case, Lyft accident lawyers meet new clients with new damages. In each case, the lawyer must obtain the compensation the client deserves. The amount a client deserves may depend on the nature and severity of their injuries and their economic damages.
Some of the damages that can occur during a Lyft accident (or afterward) include:
Pain and Suffering
Civil courts nationwide allow accident victims to seek compensation for non-economic damages like pain and suffering.
Pain and suffering can refer to several psychological, emotional, or physical forms of harm, including:
- Anxiety (which can be generalized or specific to riding in motor vehicles)
- Acute and chronic pain
- Sleep disruptions
- Lost quality of life
In cases of severe injury (including disabilities), accident victims may even develop substance abuse, suicidal thoughts, and other severe forms of pain and suffering.
Your attorney will calculate a monetary figure that represents your pain and suffering. They will also include, in your case, the cost of any treatment you need for pain and suffering, such as therapy or medication.
Property expenses in Lyft accident cases may include:
- Repairing a damaged vehicle
- Replacing a totaled vehicle
- Temporary transportation
- Replacing damaged cell phones, clothing, or other personal property damaged during the Lyft accident
Your lawyer will include all property expenses in your claim or lawsuit.
Injuries and Related Medical Expenses
Medical costs are common damage in auto accident cases.
An attorney will consider both existing and future medical expenses, which may result from:
- Emergency transportation
- Emergency treatment
- Doctors visits (including specialist appointments)
- Medical equipment for disabling injuries
- In-home care
Everyone injured in a rideshare accident has different healthcare needs; your lawyer will evaluate yours.
Those injured in motor vehicle accidents often miss work, resulting in:
- Lost opportunities to earn employer-matched retirement contributions, bonuses, promotions, and other performance-linked benefits
- Lost income
- Diminished earning power, which occurs when someone returns to work but can’t earn as much as they did before the Lyft accident
- Loss of professional fulfillment
An attorney can also evaluate damages from a wrongful death. Losing a loved one comes with a hefty price tag, including financial costs and the immense pain of loss.
Hire a Lyft Accident Lawyer as Soon as Possible
Car accident lawyers generally face deadlines for filing Lyft accident claims and lawsuits, so don’t wait to find the right law firm for your case.