Chicago Wrongful Death Attorneys
Some of the injury cases our law firm handles result in death caused by a negligent party. If a person has died in an accident, it is likely that the family of the deceased is entitled to compensation for their terrible loss. You may need the help of an experienced wrongful death lawyer in the Chicago, Illinois area. The lawyers at Abels & Annes, P.C. fight for injured victims and their families each and every day and may be able to get you compensation for your loss.
A wrongful death arises where the negligence or recklessness of a person or company are responsible for an accident that left another person dead. The law in Chicago recognizes that when one person's actions cost another his life, the responsible individual should be legally liable to the victim's family for the family's losses as a result of the accident. This means that when a loved one is killed in an accident, the surviving family members may be entitled to bring a civil claim for their damages against those responsible for the accident, regardless of how the accident occurred.
- Auto Accident
- Premises Liability
- Work Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Construction Accident
- Nursing Home Neglect or Abuse
- or from other types of negligence.
If an accident results in a fatality, a wrongful death claim may be brought by the family of the deceased when the negligence of another party caused his or her death.Family members may be entitled to recover for several types of damages and losses from a wrongful death in Chicago, including:
- The pain, suffering and grief of the surviving family members. There is not a more difficult time in life than when you lose a loved one. The feelings and pain you may experience can be unbearable. While we understand that no amount of money will make you feel whole again, family members have a right to a monetary recovery for the pain of having to go through this tragic experience.
- Funeral expenses. Almost immediately after a tragic loss, family members have to incur significant expense for a funeral. Part of this law firm’s job will be to recover expenses related to the funeral.
- Medical bills and expenses. In many wrongful death cases, the medical bills incurred before a family member passes away can be extremely expensive, often exceeding several hundred thousand dollars. Our law firm will work to recover those expenses from the negligent party.
- Loss of consortium. You have a right to recover for the loss of no longer getting to spend and enjoy time with your loved one.
- Loss of the future earnings of the deceased. Often the family member that passes away was earning income and family members were depending on that loved one to support the household. Family members have a right to recover that loss of future income. If needed, our law firm will retain an economist to determine what amount your family member would have earned during the rest of his or her life.
- Punitive damages. During a wrongful death case, lawyers will determine whether it is appropriate to ask for leave of Court to file a punitive damages count in the lawsuit. Punitive damages are intended to punish the at fault party for intentional and/or outrageous conduct.
No amount of money can properly compensate a family that lost a loved one due to negligence or recklessness but these family members deserve the relief provided for by local and state laws. After an accident, many families choose to speak with an injury lawyer to learn whether they have a case and whether they might be entitled to financial compensation.
The type of accident can affect what means of recovery are available to a family and when those claims must be pursued. For these reasons, it is a good idea to seek legal counsel as soon as possible after a loved one is killed.
The lawyers at Abels & Annes, P.C. believe that the family members of those killed by negligence deserve to have a skilled advocate on their side. We provide our experience to all of our clients to enable them to obtain a maximum possible award. With our legal team on your side, you have the advantage. Call us today at (312) 924-7575 or toll free at (855) LAW-CHICAGO and let us provide you with a free telephone consultation regarding your case. There is no obligation on your part for taking advantage of the consultation and if we represent you in your case, we will never charge a fee unless we make a recovery on your behalf. Do not let your family suffer after an accident claims the life of your loved one. Call us today and let us help you.
If you believe a negligent party may have caused a wrongful death of a family member in the Chicago area, request a Free Wrongful Death Case Consultation or call (312) 924-7575 to speak with a wrongful death lawyer now.