Riding a motorcycle is fun for people of all ages. Often, once a person begins the hobby of motorcycle riding, he or she continues to ride for as long as possible, which results in adults of all ages out on the roads with little protection in the event of a crash.
According to reports, younger riders tend to be involved in significantly more accidents than older riders, often because of less careful riding and greater risk-taking. However, the reports indicated that while riders over the age of 60 had fewer crashes, they suffered a higher incidence of serious injuries and hospitalization following a crash. The following are only some reasons cited for the increase in serious injuries for older motorcycle riders:
- Older motorcyclists might be inexperienced if they picked up riding as a retirement hobby.
- Older motorcyclists who have been riding for decades may be rusty when it comes to safety skills if they have not taken a refresher safety class.
- Some older adults experience decreased bone strength or other weaknesses that leave them more vulnerable to traumatic injuries, especially in the head and chest areas.
- Aging can cause decreased reflexes, lessened ability, difficulty balancing, and vision or hearing problems, all of which can increase the likelihood of a crash.
- Older adults may have pre-existing health conditions that may be aggravated in a motorcycle accident.
The above are only some of many reasons why older motorcycle riders may be at a greater risk for severe injuries in a crash. The more severe the injuries, the greater the medical expenses and other losses may be.
Because older riders can incur extensive losses as a result of their injuries, it is critical to discuss your legal options with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney as soon as you can following a crash. Our attorneys can identify the best way to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain, and suffering, and more.
Call Abels & Annes to Consult with a Chicago Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you have been the victim of a motorcycle accident, you should seek representation from a lawyer who knows how to handle this type of case. Contact the Chicago law firm of Abels & Annes at 312-924-7575 for a free consultation today.